Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Wrapping it Up


I Cor 16:13,14 "Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong. Let all that you do be done with love."


It is always interesting to me to see what someone says at the end of their letter. It is an indication of what is really important to them. You know, "Oh, and by the way, before I forget, here is one more thing." It is something that they want people to remember. This is something that happens at the end of conversations as well…at least at my house. My wife will call me at work and sometimes the last thing she says is something like: "Now don't forget to call the insurance guy." I know that this has been on her mind the whole time but she saves it to the end so I don't forget. (Which I do anyway.)


Paul was like this. There was something that he did not want this church to forget so he saved it until the end. He already had said it throughout the letter, but he thought that he might get it in one last time. You know, he said before to be steadfast. He said before let everything you do be done for edification and love each other. He is just hitting some of this stuff again. What does he say?


Watch. Pay attention. Be vigilant. After all, this was a church that let some things slip. They had to be on their guard. Remember: "Let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall." 10:12 Be careful.


Stand fast in the faith. Persevere in the faith. Be steadfast. Don't let what is going on around you either in the church (because things were messed up there and they can get messed up now) or in culture sway you from the truth.


Be brave. The actual translation is: Be a man. Man up. Don't be a wimp. All kinds of adversaries were swirling around Paul and he was moving forward. (v9) Do the same in the face of opposition.


Be strong. Grow in your strength. How does this happen? Exercise. Work out. Challenge yourself.


Do everything in love. Even though you have to watch and stand fast, and be brave, and be strong, make sure that this happens…every act, every word, every attitude…let it be done in love. (I Cor 13)


These are good words for the church today as well. It seems like there are many adversaries and they seem to be getting louder and bolder every day. In our society, we all have to be tolerant. We all have to accept one another. We all have to listen to one another's ideas…unless you are a Christian. Bible believing Christians are open game. So those of us who are Bible believing Christians need to watch and stand fast in our faith and be brave and be strong. And above all, we have to do everything in love. That is the difference maker. That is what sets us apart. (John 13:34,35) That is what is going to be the real witness to the world.


The idea of challenging myself hits me. What am I doing that exercises my faith? What am I doing that is hard and stretches me? My sister is going on a missions trip by herself to Guyana on Friday. Am I willing to do something like that? Be open.



No comments: