Friday, May 4, 2012

Receiving Children…Receiving Jesus

Mark 9:37 "Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me, receives not me but him who sent me." ESV


 

I love little kids…so did Jesus. In fact, in His teaching that the disciples had to become small He used a little child as an example. If you want to become great, if you want to become a real leader it will be revealed in how you treat children. So many times we think that we can schmooze adults. If I want to get ahead, I have to mix it up with the big boys. I have to find the shakers and movers and get to be known.


 

Not in Jesus' economy. The way to become first was to become last. The way to become a leader what to become a servant. And how you treat children is a measuring rod.


 

The key in this verse is the word "receive". It actually means to take by the hand. It means to take up. It means to befriend. It means to receive in hospitality. It means to receive into one's family and educate. Whoever does these things isn't just receiving that child, but they are also receiving Jesus. And they aren't just welcoming Jesus, they are welcoming His Father.


 

And the question I have to ask myself is: "How am I receiving children?" What little kids are in my life now? Sure, my granddaughter, Maddie. But who else? Maybe my neighbor's children, but as I think about it, I really am not involved with many children. What does that say about me? What should I do? How should I change? What may God be leading me to do? Work with kids in my church? Maybe. Mentor a young man? Maybe. Become a big-brother. Maybe.


 

Lord let me listen. I want to welcome You…let me welcome children.

No comments: