Thursday, June 19, 2008

Edify

I Cor 14:26 "How is it brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification"

Paul is writing to a group of people who think that what they all individually have to say is something that everyone should hear. We have the singers who need to sing, the teachers who need to teach, the people who speak in languages that others may not be able to understand yet they still want to be heard, those who can reveal truth who want it to be known and those who take the obscure and make it clear. They all have one thing in common...they are all mouthing words. Why? That is the key question. What is the motivation behind those words? Come to think about it, what is my motivation for creating this blog? Is it so that I can be known? Or is it so that others have to think about what I have to say? Or is it so I can force my ideas upon others? Paul says: "No". We should sing, teach, speak for only one purpose...to edify. To build up. To help others grow in their faith.

God has given me the honor, privilege and awesome responsiblity in leading worship. I really do not understand why or how I got to do this. I do not have the greatest voice. I am not the sharpest tac in the box. I certainly am deficient in all that I should know, yet He has blessed me with about one-half an hour of time with my church on Sunday, singing the songs that I pick out and briefly sharing some truth.

Why do I do it? What is my motivation? I hope threefold. 1. To glorify God. 2. To build up believers. 3. To allow people to see Jesus so that they are drawn to Him. That is what I want. If or when it gets to pushing my own agenda, forget it. Glorify Christ and edify. That is all. That is enough.

No comments: