Monday, June 30, 2008

Wrapping it Up (cont.)

I Cor. 16:13, 14 "Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong. Let all that you do be done with love."

Paul is putting the icing on the cake with this last verse: "Let all that you do be done with love." I hope I am not getting too scholarly here (that is a joke...me scholarly?) but that verse is really not how it's written. The Greek reads: "Ginomai pas humon pas ginomai en agape." The thing that is cool is that Paul uses two words twice in reverse. Ginomai pas and pas ginomai. It actually means: "Become everything ... everything become..." Or, "Become all things you all things become in love." What is he saying? Whatever I am and whatever I do, let it all be in love. This is deeper than just what we do, it goes down to the deepest part of who we are.

Don't just engage in loving deeds. Yes, that is huge. All the things that I do, all the words that I say, my entire life should be acts and words of love. This is something that Paul wanted the Corinthian church to hold on to...to remember. (See I Cor. 13) But beyond that: "Become all things...in love." All that I am inside. The things I do and what I say should be a result of what is happening in the inner man and that inner man should be characterized by love.

To say that my life is a life of unconditional love, to say that this is my central character quality, to say that all that I do is motivated by love is tough. This does not even seem realistic. I mean, this really is perfection. This really is Jesus living out His life in me. Bingo. I can't do this. Jesus has to do it. In my flesh this is impossible, but with Him all things are possible.

I am thankful that Paul uses the word "become". This is a process. This is not something that I will see overnight. It is something that I should see gradually develop in my life. As I grow in Christlikenss my attitudes, my words, my actions should all become more loving.

How am I doing? As I get older do I see growth or am I becoming more set in my ways, more selfish, more likely to speak my mind with no regard for the consequences? If this is what I see, God help me. That is completely the opposite of what Paul is talking about here. Grow in love, inside and out. "Become all things you all things become in love."

No comments: