Thursday, July 3, 2008

Yes!

I am done with my study in I Corinthians, so here I go with number 2:

2 Cor. 1:20 "For all the promises of God in Him are yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us."

"Yes" is a great word. I know that my kids loved to hear that word when they asked me if they could do something. The dreaded word was "no". The other dreaded word was "maybe". They didn't like that word because they knew that it really meant "no". The same is true for us. We love to hear the word "yes". It is positive. It is encouraging. It gives us permission.

Now look at this verse: "For all the promises of God in Him are yes..." Not "no", not "maybe" but "YES"! So what are some of these promises that we have "in Him"?

"Whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16
"He who believes in Him is not condemned..." John 3:18
"He who has the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life." John 6:40
"But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, who those believing in Him would receive" Jn. 7:39
"...we might become the righteousness of God in Him" 2 Cor. 5:21
"In Him also we have obtained an inheritance." Eph. 1:11
"In Him...you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise." Eph.1:13
"In whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him." Eph. 3:12
"And be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith." Phil. 3:9
"For you are complete in Him." Col. 2:10
"Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will He hears us." I Jn. 5:14

These are just a few of the promises that are "yes" "in Him": Everlasting life, no condemnation, we have the Holy Spirit, we are secure, we are right before God, we have an inheritance, we have boldness, we have access, we have confidence, we are complete, He hears us. Now this is not an exhaustive list, but even if it was, wouldn't it be enough? I mean this is crazy. Jesus, the God-man, the great I AM makes me complete. I have everything and am everything and will do everything that I may ever need to have, be and do, I will live forever, completely forgiven, pure before God and His Holy Spirit is given to me to live with me, to seal me, to comfort me, to direct me, and I am heir to the King of all creation and I can go to Him at any time, with any request and He listens. Wild.

The promises in Him are yes and amen! Grab them. Hold on to them. Have confidence in them. Live like it..."to the glory of God".

1 comment:

MJUnderwood said...

Thanks for reminding me of those promises, Pops. I love you.