Sunday, July 20, 2008

Held Together

2 Cor. 5:14,15 "For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: That if One died for all then all died, and He died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again."

Another way: For the love of Christ holds us together, because we pronounce that this is right that Jesus died for all of us - individually and collectively, that those of us who are alive should no longer live selfishly for ourselves, but for Jesus who died and came back to life.

What is the thing that holds my life together? What is the driving force that gives me stability? Is it my goals, my desires, my family, my hopes and dreams, my job, my ministry...what is it that secures me? Paul says that it must be the love of Christ. That really is the only stabilizing, compelling, motivating, centering factor in my life. Sure, I receive a ton of support from my wife and kids. Yes, I have an identity as a lawyer, but those things should not be my foundation. My foundation is the love of Jesus. Knowing this love causes me to determine what is right, and this is what is right - Jesus died for me. He took me on the cross with Him. He took my garbage, my shame, my sin, my eternal destruction on the cross with Him. In a sense I died with Him.

The cool thing is that He didn't stay dead and neither did I. He rose to life. I rose to new life. A new life where I no longer live for the garbage I once did. I no longer live for the things that put Jesus on the cross. I no longer live for myself. Selfishness put Him there. Pride put Him there. Independence put Him there. Now, in my new life I should live totally for Him...not me.

As I think about this, the questoin is: "Who am I really living for? Me or Jesus? How is this evident in my life? When I go to work, who am I working for? Who am I representing when I open my mouth? Who controls me? Who controls my money, my time, my energy, my body, my thoughts, my eyes, my attitudes? Is it Jesus or is it me?

His love holds me together to live a resurrected life for Him.

No comments: