Monday, January 2, 2012

Enjoy

Ecc 2:25 "For apart from Him who can eat or who can have enjoyment?"


 

Solomon lists all of the things that he worked for his entire life. Pleasure, laughter, wine, houses, gardens, vineyards, parks, pools, slaves, animals, money, singers, women, greatness, wisdom. This guy had it all. He did not resist anything that may have brought pleasure to his life. His conclusion? It was all vanity. No matter how hard he worked he realized that he was not going to take it with him...he was leaving it to someone else who did not work hard for it and who may not take care of it. This is kind of a sad commentary on life.


 

But then he closes with this. Even though the material things that we work for here on this earth are not going to last, God still allows us to find enjoyment in this life. In verse 24 he says: "There is nothing better for a person than he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil. This also, I saw, was from the hand of God." In other words, work hard and find that your work is good. Enjoy your job. Find that your job has purpose and meaning and gives fulfillment.


 

This really is a gift from God. I would hate to work in a dead end job. I would find it difficult if I did not consider that my work was more than a job, it is a ministry. It allows me to help people who really have significant needs. It is amazing the satisfaction that I get when I win a case and see relief on the face of my client. It is fulfilling for someone to give me a hug...someone I barely know, because they are so thankful for the small part I may have played in their life. And there is nothing like having the opportunity to share real hope with people who are hopeless. God has given me all of that. Did I work hard to get it? Yes. But it is a gift from God. It all came from Him.


 

My wife would say the same thing. To see children advance in their education, to teach a child how to read, to see the joy on their faces when they get it...and then to feel the appreciation from their parents...unreal. Georgann has a gift and it has been give to her by God. She works hard at it and God uses her.


 

And then the capstone...the basic reality...apart from Him who can eat? The answer: No one. The most basic of basics in life, the ability to eat comes from God. The provision of food comes from God. The physical ability to chew and taste and swallow and digest comes from God. Any enjoyment that we have in this life is a gift of God. Me sitting here with my feet up typing on my iPad is a gift from God. Him pouring thoughts into my life is His gift to me. Spending time with my wife and family and friends is His gift. Health is a gift from God. The ability to see and hear and speak is His gift. The ability to walk and run is His gift. The ability to create is His gift. Laughter and silliness and humor is His gift. All that I have is His gift. James must have read Solomon's writings because he also said "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above..."


 

This year I need to thank God that I can work hard and that I can enjoy my work and the fruit from my labor, because it is all from Him. Will it last? No. But God wants to give it anyway so enjoy. What grace!

No comments: