Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Hard Lessons

Ez 6:7b " and you shall know that I am the LORD." 10a "And they shall know that I am the LORD." 13a "And they shall know that I am the LORD." 14b "Then they will know that I am the LORD." ESV


 

I don't like hard lessons, but sometimes this head is so hard that the only way that I will learn is when the hard stuff comes. I think that is what was happening in Israel. These people were so off course, so intent on doing what they wanted, that God had to bring some hard things their way in order for them to learn who He was.


 

Israel had turned their back on God. It really could not get much worse. They were so caught up in idolatry that they had built altars to their false gods on the mountains. God was watching all of this and it impacted Him emotionally. I know that we don't think of God as having emotions, but He does. Verse 9 says: "I have been hurt by their adulterous hearts which turned away from Me." NASB God was hurt. After all that He had done for them, after all of the miracles and victories and provision, these people turned away from Him and worshipped other things. God was hurt. God was broken. His heart was shattered. He knew that as a loving Father He had to do something. These people needed to know who He was, so the hard lessons came. Some starved, some died, some were scattered. Why? So "they will know that I am the LORD". The word for "know" also means "learn". These people had to learn who God was again and the lesson was going to be hard. The lesson was going to result in them knowing who their Father was again.


 

I think of some people right now who have turned away from God. God is watching and God is hurt. His heart aches and He will not stay silent. As they learn who He is once again they can anticipate some hard lessons.


 

I don't want that. Like I said, I don't like hard lessons. I would rather avoid them. The only way that can happen is if I constantly turn toward God. If I fix my eyes on Him. If I stay focused on eternity. Frankly, life is easier if I obey. Tough times will still come and lessons will still have to be learned, that is just how things are…but they will not be as hard to take and I will understand that I can trust a loving God who is working.


 

No comments: