Thursday, January 5, 2012

Eternal Work

Ecc 3:14 "I perceived that whatever God does endures forever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from it. God has done it, so that people fear before him." ESV


 

God has put eternity into man's heart and whatever God does lasts for eternity. (Same word.) So shouldn't I be in the business of watching and looking and discovering what God is doing? If God is up to something, then it is important. If God is up to something, then it is going to last. If God is up to something it is complete. We can't add to it, and we can't take away from it, because God has done it.


 

This says something about God's character. It tells me that He is eternal and He does eternal things. When God is moving and working it is forever. He doesn't play around. His work is significant work. His labor is significant labor. And to think that God is doing things on this earth, in the hearts of people is crazy. To think that this eternal God is doing eternal things among us a wild concept. But He is.


 

A while ago my wife and I went through a study called: "Experiencing God". In that study Henry Blackaby emphasizes the truth that God is always at work. He states this based upon the words of Jesus where He said: "My Father is working until now, and I am working." John 5:17 God doesn't sleep. He hasn't set things in motion and let them go. He is active. He is moving. He is at work in this world. Blackaby states that if God is working and if Jesus is working then we need to figure out where He is at work and join Him in that work. Solomon adds to that: If God is at work, and we join Him in that work then what we do also lasts for eternity. Wild stuff. It just brings me back to a quote my Mom used to say that I have not heard or thought of in years, until this last Sunday when it popped in my brain while I was praying: "Only one life will soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last." I don't have a clue who said that, but it is true. God is at work. His work is eternal work. I can join Him in that eternal work and see what I do last forever too.


 

Why? So people will fear Him. So people will revere Him. So people will stand in awe of Him. And frankly, so people will be terrified of Him. Unfortunately, I don't see a lot of that in our society. I don't see a fear, a respect, an awe, a terror for God. Why is that? If God is at work and His work is eternal work, why has a fear of God seemed to gradually creep from our culture? Could it be because those who claim to be Christ followers have abandoned doing His work?


 

Another goal for this year…watch and see where God is at work and get busy with Him.


 

No comments: