Saturday, August 15, 2009

Early

Ps. 63:1 "O God, You are my God. Early will I seek You, my soul thirsts for You, my flesh longs for You, in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water."

This is a statement made by David that confirms his object of worship, his focus in life, his primary relationship. "O God, You are my God." What a statement! "O God", the One true God, the only God, You (personally) are My (personal) God. "I am His and He is mine." The God of all, the great I AM, the Creator of all things seen and unseen. (Did you ever think about this - God created the angels too. The Bible does not talk about how or when He did it, but He did.) The God of the earth and the heaven(s). The God of atoms and molecules. The God of biology, chemistry and physics. You are my God. Wow. I really can't grasp this truth, but this God wants to be my God, my object of worship, my focus in life, my primary relationship.

How did David cultivate that relationship? "Early will I seek You." Early, at the first opportune moment, first thing, I will diligently look for You and wait to hear from You. David was so thirsty for God, his body was in such need for God he could feel it. He had to seek Him early. David said: "You are the anchor for my life. You are the director of all that I have to do. I need you, so early, first thing I do, I will look for You and find You. "

What about me? Will I look for God early in His word? Will I seek Him early in prayer? If I am thirsty I will.

You know, I have always told people to give God the best part of their day. I have to retract that. Go to God in the first part of your day.

My friend Dave has a practice. He will not drink any water until he has prayed. He will not eat any food until he has spent time in the word. That is thirst. That is hunger. That is the way it should be. Early.

No comments: