Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sprinting After Peace and Edification

Rom 14:19 "Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another."

Talk about reminders. I need to be reminded that this is what I am to do. I am to pursue, to run after, to earnestly seek the things that bring about peace and tranquility, and the things that build others up.

More times than I would like to admit I am drifting the other way. Drifting is a good word. It is not a pursuit to confront or hurt. It is a gradual, sneaky drifting. It happens and I don't realize it. It happens and I call it "speaking the truth in love". That can be used as an excuse to prove a point or to show that I am right. I have a tendency to gravitate that way. I don't run after this. I don't pursue this. It just seems to happen. The problem is that this is not being controlled by the Spirit of God. It is being controlled by my flesh.

Instead, I need to make a conscious effort to pursue those thngs that are going to create peace. I need to run after those things the build others up. I need to be positive and not negative.

The word for pursue implies work. It implies discipline. It implies effort. It implies a mindset that is aware of the battle that we are in. I can't get lazy. I can't just let things happen. I must discipline myself to sprint after peace and edification. When I am tempted to think the worst, don't. When I am prone to speak a negative word, don't. Instead, quickly run after peace. Quickly run after encouraging others.

Not only that, but do this even when negativity is not an issue. Make edification a natural part of my life and speech. Just be an encourager. Speak life into the lives of thers. Speak a word that will build them up. Tell them "thank you", or "you look great", or "what you said was perfect", or "your help was what we all needed", or "I see God really working in your life", or take what is perceived to be negative and put a positive spin on it.

Pursue this. Run after this. Sprint after peace and edification.

No comments: