Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Faithful and True

Josh 21:45 "Not a word failed of any good thing which the LORD had spoken to the house of Israel. All came to pass." NKJV

As I sit here and read and re-read this verse, I am impressed by the truth and faithfulness of God. God made a promise to Abraham. His promise was: "To your descendants I will give this land." Gen 12:7 I think about this promise. It was a promise that God made but it was a promise that was for the future. Abraham was not going to see it. Instead, his descendants would see it. Abraham had the word of God. The promise of God, and that is all. He did not have the land. His descendants would get the land. He would not see the fulfillment of this promise. That was for some time in the future. Instead, all Abraham had was the promise of God…and that was enough for him. Why? Because he knew that God was true. He knew that God was faithful. He knew that God would keep His word.

I know that I get impatient. I want to see things happen now. I want to see things happen in my lifetime. I want to enjoy the fulfillment of God's promises. I am blessed as I am able to say that I have seen God's faithfulness. I have seen God's truth. I have seen how God keeps His word. Every time I look at my family, I am reminded of this. I know, however, that God has made promises that I may not see fulfilled. Does that mean that God is not true? Does that mean that He is not faithful? No. It means that He is patient. It means that His timing is perfect. It means that He knows what He is doing because He is God.

The point is: "Not a word failed…all came to pass." God's words are true. God's words are trustworthy. God's words are faithful because He is true and trustworthy and faithful. Every word, not just few of the words, not just a majority of the words, but every word that is laid out in the Bible will come to pass. Not one word will fail. When He says that things will proceed from bad to worse, He means it. Watch it. It will happen. When He says that men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, proud, He means it. Watch it. It is happening. When He says that men will hold to a form of godliness but deny its power. He means it. Watch it. It is happening. When He says that someday there will be a one world government, with a one world economy, that people will not be able to buy or sell without a certain number, He means it. Watch it. We can see it going down right now. When He says that He is returning and He will judge the world, He means it. Watch it. It will happen. When He says: "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.", He means it. Watch it. It happens.

God is true. He is faithful. We can trust every word that He says because "not a word (will) fail…all (will) come to pass.

No comments: