Sunday, October 9, 2011

Giants

Josh 15:14 "Caleb drove out the three sons of Anak from there: Sheshai, Ahiman, and Talmai, the children of Anak." NKJV

This is where words actually resulted in action. Back in Numbers 13, the twelve spies came back from taking a look at the land and their report was: "Nevertheless the people who dwell in the land are strong; the cities are fortified and very large; moreover we saw the descendants of Anak there." V28 Caleb's response: "Let us go up at once and take possession, for we are well able to overcome it." V30 The ten's response: "There we saw the giants (the descendants of Anak came from the giants) and we were like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight." V33 The people's response: "Why has the Lord brought us to this land to fall by the sword…?" 14:3 Caleb's response: "…the Lord is with us. Do not fear them." V9 Caleb's eventual action: "Caleb drove out the three sons of Anak from there: Sheshai, Ahian, and Talmai, the children of Anak." Caleb got it. He knew that no matter what the odds, no matter what the obstacle, no matter what the opposition, God was over it all…and he put his action where his words were.

I know that I can talk a good game. But when the going gets tough, what do I do? Do I bale? Do I doubt? Do I hesitate? Do my actions back up what I say? If I really believe that God is behind something then they better. If I am convinced that God has directed and God has orchestrated then the challenge is to go forward no matter what the giants may look like. It may not be comfortable and it may not be prudent, but if it is from God then I have to not just talk a good game, but I have to live a life that backs it up. I have to go forward and watch God destroy the Anakan giants.

I can think of all kinds of challenges that may be facing me/us in the future. The garbage that is hitting our country is going to result in challenges for believers. The question is: Do we really believe? Do we really trust that God is in control? Can we move forward with confidence knowing that God is directing the affairs of this world? As I think about this, I think about my church…what is God doing there? We are also going to have to make some pivotal decisions in the near future. Where is God? What is He doing? What does He want? Move forward with confidence. And my family. How is all of this stuff going to impact us? I know this: "If God be for us, who can be against us?" No one. Live it. Trust it and slay those giants.

No comments: