Friday, October 21, 2011

Seek, Do, Teach

Exra 7:6, 10 "This Ezra come up from Babylon; and he was a skilled scribe in the Law of Moses, which the Lord God of Israel had given...For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the Law of the Lord, and to do it, and to teach statutes and ordinances in Israel." NKJV

Guys like Ezra challenge me. His life and his heart challenge me. He was a skilled scribe. The actual translation or that is a ready relater. He was always prepared to share the Law of Moses, the word of God with others. He knew what it said and he was able to relate it to others in various situations. How did he get to be like this? His prepared his heart. He readied his inner man. He established his will to do three things: Seek the word. Do the word. Teach the word. I love the progression of this guy.

First, he sought the word of God. He made personal inquiry of it. He spent time in it. He learned what it said. He knew God's heart because He knew God's word. He didn't just leave it at that, however. He did the word. He worked the word. This was not just an educational exercise for him. He didn't get into the word just to be smarter so he could impress others with his knowledge, he did it so he could do it. Ezra was an Old Testament James. "Be doers of the word and not merely hearers." He obeyed. He was an example. He practiced what he read. He didn't leave it at that, however. He taught the word. He trained others in the word. He spurred others on to get into the word and learn it for themselves so they could do it and teach it.

I would love this to be me. I want to seek the word of God. The question that I have to ask myself is "do I really?". I mean, I get into it in the morning, I dig, I study, but is one-half an hour a day really seeking the word? Sure, I go to Bible Study. I listen to it preached. But is this really seeking the word of God? How intense is this desire? I believe it needs to be more passionate. Then do I obey it? Do I do what it says? Am I an example? Forget the next step if I am not doing this. And then, when do I teach it? How do I teach it? How do I declare it? Am I a ready relater?

First step…more of it.

No comments: