Monday, January 4, 2010

First things First

Matt. 6:33 – “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.”

This is always a good verse to come back to. If there is a verse that I would say is my “life verse” this is it. This is what I want to do. This is what I want to characterize my life. That I seek. The word “seek” “zeteo” means that I look for the kingdom of God, that I look for His righteousness. That my search is always for that first. Yet it means more than this. Seek also means to aim for, to strive after. That is really what I think that this verse means. That my main aim in life, that my energy is going after God’s kingdom and His righteousness.

Oh, there are a ton of things that I could strive after. We do it all the time. Money, position, power, popularity, possessions, career, family. You name it. Everyone who ever lived has had to strive after something. The question is: “What will it be?” A successful law practice? Not a bad thing, but not the primary thing. A strong family? Again, a great thing, but not the primary thing.

What is it? Run after, pursue, strive after, aim for God’s kingdom. First, God’s kingdom in my life and God's kingdom in this world. God’s rule and control in my life. When that happens, I may be able to see God’s kingdom lived out through me and around me. Run after this.

And His righteousness. His righteous life living in me. That His character would be my character. That His love, peace, purity, faithfulness, patience, kindness, joy…basically the fruit of the Spirit would characterize my life. I need to run after this…first. Above all other things.

Then what will happen? Everything else. All the other things that I need will happen. It will naturally flow. A strong family, a God honoring profession, and the most basic of all of life’s needs met. I don’t need to worry. (v 34) if I am running after God’s kingdom and righteousness first.

A great reminder for this year. May I live it.

No comments: