Saturday, January 30, 2010

Where is My Mind?

Rom 8:6 "For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace."

I am starting to see a pattern. Here it is:

Carnally minded is walking according to the flesh, it is the same thing as living for self. It is allowing our flesh to control our thoughts and purposes. It is where everything that I do is done with me in mind. The result of thinking and living like this is death. If I live for me, I will die.

The word for death means: “in the widest sense, death comprising all the miseries arising from sin, as well physical death as the loss of a life consecrated to God and blessed in him on earth, to be followed by wretchedness in hell.” (Strongs) Any takers?

In contrast, spiritually minded is walking according to the Spirit, it is the same thing as dying to self. It is allowing the Spirit of God to control my thoughts and purposes. The result of thinking and living like this is life. If I die to self, I will live and I will have peace.

The word for live here means: “life real and genuine, a life active and vigorous, devoted to God, blessed, in the portion even in this world of those who put their trust in Christ, but after the resurrection to be consummated by new accessions (among them a more perfect body), and to last for ever.” (Strongs) Real life, genuine life, an active life, a vigorous life, a blessed life, and eternal life. Who is the world doesn’t want this?

Not only this, but it is peace. The word for peace means: “security, safety, prosperity, felicity, (because peace and harmony make and keep things safe and prosperous)” (Strongs) We all desire security and safety and harmony. How do we get this life and peace? Be spiritually minded. (It seems like I have visited this theme before. Maybe Rom 5?)

There is a battle here. How do I live? Is my life controlled by me or God? If it is me, I am in trouble. The problem is, so many times I cave in. I do what I want to do. I think only about me and I don’t consider God or others. That is when I run into trouble. That is when I feel inner guilt. That is when my peace and happiness evaporate. That is when I have to pay the consequences.

Yet, when I know that I have done what God wants it results in joy and satisfaction and peace.

So, where is my mind? The answer will reveal the quality of life that I will have both now and forever.

No comments: