Saturday, January 23, 2010

Peace

Rom 5:1 “Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.”

This verse comes after a chapter break. Paul did not write a letter and include chapter breaks, these were added later. As one pastor that I had once said: “When you see the word therefore, you need to know what it is there for.” So, what lead to this verse? Rom 8:25: “who was delivered up because of our offenses, and was raised because of our justification.” Jesus died because of our sin. He had to. He had to shed His blood to cover our sin. But He did not stay there. He rose again. Here we have Paul talking about the Gospel again…the power of God unto salvation. Jesus resurrection brought about our justification. His death covered our sin, but His life gave us righteousness before God, purity before God, holiness before God “Just as if we had never sinned.” That is what the “therefore” is all about.

Therefore, because of Jesus death and resurrection, because we trust in Christ’s death and life alone for our salvation, we have peace with God. The word for peace means tranquility, harmony, security, safety. We can rest, we don’t have to worry, we don’t have to live in guilt, we don’t have to be concerned about what God will eventually do to us. Why? We are clean in His sight because of Jesus and we are at peace with God. No more animosity. No more barriers. Jesus has reconciled us to the Father and we are at peace.

This is great news! This is the power of the good news, the Gospel. So many people are walking around conflicted. They don’t have to be. So many are walking around in fear. There is no need. “Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe. Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow.” ( Elvina Hall) No more dirt, no more garbage…totally clean. “Clean before my Lord I stand and in me not one blemish does He see.” (Nancy Honeytree)

Not only do we have peace and tranquility and harmony, we have security and safety. God is my Father. He makes me safe and secure. I am at peace with Him and He holds me. No more punishment, only restoration and life.

Man, the world needs this. My hurting clients need this. My neighbors need this. Let me share it freely.

No comments: