Thursday, January 28, 2010

No Condemnation

1-22-10 Rom 8:1 "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit."

One thing I hate is being accused of something. I don’t like it when people say that I did something wrong when I didn’t do it. I like it even less when people condemn me for something that I did…because the reality of the truth hurts.

The truth is, we all can say with Paul: “For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.” Rom 7:19 Even when we don’t want to screw up, we still do. The result: we stand accused. It’s no fun. We stand in the presence of a holy God realizing that we don’t measure up, we have missed the mark (Rom. 3:23) and we are condemned. We are on our way to a “damnable sentence”.

Paul’s question is a good one: “Who will deliver me from this body of death?” Rom 7:24 His answer is even better: “I thank God – through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Rom 7:25 He then says this: “There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus…” No condemnation. I have to let that sink in. I am no longer destined for punishment if I am “in” Christ Jesus. If I am “in” something, it reveals my position. It shows where I am. My location is with Christ. I am no longer alone. Christ is an integral part of who I am. He is now my identity.

Beyond that, however, is the next line. “Who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit”. Really this line defines what it means to be “in Christ”. I am no longer controlled by my flesh. My life is not run based upon my selfish whims. My life (my walk) is directed by the Spirit of God. When this happens, I am no longer condemned. I am no longer guilty. I am free. I don’t have to hate being accused of anything because there is no longer any accusation available against me. I am “in Christ” and He sets me free from sin and death. Amazing stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many do not go on with this passage that tells us the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us who walk after the spirit, not the flesh. They who are in the flesh cannot please God. Without faith it is impossible to please him. If we walk in faith, we will walk after the spirit. If we walk in faith, there is no condemnation because Christ loved us and gave himself for us. Salvation is the gift of God through faith by grace, not by our own works of righteousness, but by the love God had toward us in Christ. Bible study is important for us all. We must study to show ourselves approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth, according to the scripture. May God bless all who share the word of God in spirit and in truth.