Thursday, March 1, 2012

No Fear

Ps 23:4 "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." ESV


 

I think the "No fear" motto originated with David. I get the idea that David knew what he was talking about here. It seems that his life was frequently in jeopardy. This mad man, Saul, was always going after him, trying to eliminate him, and David knew it. He probably literally walked in the valley of the shadow of death. I am sure that when he was trying to avoid Saul, that it took him to the valleys where he had time to think about his life and whether it would end soon. His response? "I am not afraid. I am not afraid of Saul. I am not afraid of his evil. I am not afraid of death. Why not? Because, Shepherd, You are with me and You are the One who watches over me and protects me and give me comfort."


 

Fear. It is an ugly thing. I know that I am sometimes paralyzed by it. I don't do things because I am afraid. I don't give too much because I am afraid. I don't step out because I am afraid. I don't speak up because I am afraid. The thing is, when I am afraid I am denying the fact that my Shepherd is with me. When I am afraid I am telling God that I don't trust Him. This has to stop. Fear should not even be in my vocabulary. Why? "You are with me"….always. "Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you". So we can confidently say, "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?"" Heb 13:5,6 It seems that fear is tied to two things: Money and man. I have to realize that my security is not in my bank account or what other people do or think. My security is in the Lord and I do not have to be afraid of anything. He is the One who protects me. He is the One who gives me security. He is the One who is with me.


 

And as we see all that is going down around us, Christians should be the ones who have: No fear.


 

No comments: