Sunday, March 25, 2012

Merciful Friends

Job 19:21 "Have mercy on me, have mercy on me, O you my friends, for the hand of God has touched me!" ESV


 

Finally Job stops fighting. His friend Bildad just came out with a true but scathing reminder of what happens to those who don't know God. (Ch. 18) It isn't pretty and I am sure that it was directed as a reminder to Job. After hearing it, all Job could do was ask his friends to give him mercy…to show him pity and be gracious. Yes, up to this point his friends were there. They were quiet at first but then they began to speak. It seemed to be gentle initially, but then it got harder and harder until these words from Bildad. Job then realized that his family had turned against him. His own siblings ignored him. Children were repulsed by him and his own wife thought his breath stunk. What did he do with his friends? He cried out for mercy.


 

How do I treat people who are going through tough times? I don't think that I have been scathing in my response in the past, but I may have been something even worse…removed. Not there. None of us like to see others going through pain and when it comes we can respond in one of three ways: Judgment…which is what Job's friends eventually morphed into; Sympathy…which is where you come along side just to listen and care and meet needs; Avoidance…where you try to ignore the problem and just hope that it will go away. I may have responded with the later because, let's face it, when you take on another person's pain, it is hard.


 

Yet, isn't this what Paul told us to do? Rejoice with those who rejoice. (That is always fun.) But weep with those who weep. (Not so fun but necessary.) (Rom 12:15) Bear one another's burdens and thus fulfill the law of Christ (Gal 6:2)…and what is that law? To love one another.


 

I have to get better at this.

No comments: