Sunday, March 4, 2012

Chasing After Me

Ps 23:6a "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life," ESV


 

I sit here and I realize how blessed I am. I could have written this part of Psalm 23. Surely goodness and mercy has followed me all the days of my life. Why? The Lord is my Shepherd. He is the One who does this, not me. He is the One who is faithful. He is the One who shows me mercy when I am dumb and sin and make stupid decisions. He is the One who withholds His hand when I deserve a spanking. He is a God of mercy. He is a God of grace and goodness. He is a God who grants forgiveness and underserved favor…they both follow me. They both pursue me. They both run after me my entire life.


 

I love this idea of following me. It isn't just like I am leading them. No, it is God and His goodness and mercy that chase me. Sometimes I run and they run faster. Sometimes I don't want to hear from God and He shouts louder. Why? Because God can't help it. It is His nature to pursue us, to run after us, to chase us all the days of our lives. Jonah thought he could run but God's goodness and mercy pursued him. The disciples ran away but God's goodness and mercy chased after them. And when I think that I can avoid Him, here come His goodness and mercy.


 

Thank God for His grace. Thank God for His mercy. Thank God that He is the Pursuer. Thank God, for I have experienced His goodness and His mercy and have found that it is dumb to run.


 

No comments: