Monday, March 12, 2012

Perspective

Job 5:8,9 "As for me, I would seek God, and to God would I commit my cause, who does great things and unsearchable, marvelous things without number:" ESV


 

Eliphaz continued to talk…and frankly, his advice was really good. Eliphaz had a perspective that he wanted to share with Job. Even though Job was going through a really tough time, Eliphaz brings him back to truth…and the truth was that God had Job's good in store. (vs 18-27) He reminded Job that God wounds but He then heals. Eliphaz basically prophesied Job's end…that he would die a rich, old man with many kids.


 

I am sure that this was the farthest thing from Job's mind at that time. I am sure that all Job could think about were his difficult circumstances. Yet here comes a friend to remind him, to give him hope and to tell him the seek God and commit his cause to him. Why? Because God does great and unsearchable and marvelous things without number. Eliphaz then went on to try to enumerate them to prove his point to Job and to give Job some perspective.


 

Perspective. Webster defines perspective as: "the capacity to view things in their true relations or relative importance". This is what Eliphaz wanted Job to get. To view his current situation in terms of what was true. He wanted Job to get a broader view of what was happening. Tough stuff. This is really hard to do when you are grieving, or in pain, or worried. It seems like whenever garbage hits the fan all you can think about is the garbage. At those times we have to say: "As for me, I would seek God and to God I would commit my cause…". The perspective is: God knows. God cares. God loves. God is in control. God has the big picture in mind…so seek God in it all and commit what is happening to Him. View things in their true relation. View what happens in the eyeglass of God's word and know that God does marvelous, unsearchable things without number. This is perspective.


 


 

No comments: