Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Terrified

Job 13:11 "Will not his majesty terrify you, and the dread of him fall upon you?" ESV


 

Job was really coming at his friends now. He was questioning their wisdom and he was challenging their arguments. Were they really going to speak for God? Were they going to put themselves in His place and argue His case? Job was telling them that they had no right. In fact would not His majesty terrify them? Shouldn't they be in dread of Him? Shouldn't His exalted state overwhelm them in terror? Shouldn't they in genuine fear?


 

I know that I have written about this before, but it seems like the fear, dread, terror of God is gone. It is gone in our society. It is gone in our churches. It is gone in our lives. How do I know? Because we do our own thing without considering the majesty of God and what He wants.


 

I mean, really…would I cheat on my taxes if I genuinely feared God? Would I get divorced if I genuinely feared God? Would I lie to other people if I genuinely feared God? Would I fail to raise my kids properly if I genuinely feared God? Would I spend money the way I do if I genuinely feared God? Would I gossip if I genuinely feared God? Would I refuse to forgive if I genuinely feared God? Would I abort that baby if I genuinely feared God? Would I have premarital, extramarital or homosexual sex if I genuinely feared God? Would I fight with that other person or that other nation if I genuinely feared God? Would I look at that junk on the internet if I genuinely feared God? Would I waste my time if I genuinely feared God? Would I put that stuff in my body if I genuinely feared God? Would I eat the way I do if I genuinely feared God? Would I fill my mind with that garbage on TV if I genuinely feared God? Would I give that amount of money or serve in the way that I do if I genuinely feared God. I think I've got the picture.


 

If the terror and dread of God was real in my life things would be different…radically different. And how about this: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength." Love and fear…I think that they would bring about the same result…a desire to do all that God wants me to do and an abhorrence for all that ignores Him. And how do I get both? Ask Him to show me His majesty. His exalted state. Who He is. What He is like. Love and terror will be the result.


 

But then get this: "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love." I John 4:18 So should I tremble and dread and be afraid? Yes. But don't let it end there. Grow in my love for God and all that I do will be motivated by something stronger…love. And when that happens, fear will be a thing of the past.


 

God let me see Your majesty more so that I fear, but beyond that, so that I love.


 

No comments: