Monday, March 19, 2012

Breath

Job 12:10 "In his hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind." ESV


 

Not only were the guys who were coming to Job speaking truth, Job was as well. Here he says that his friends were not the only ones who had wisdom…God had entrusted some of that understanding to him as well. (v3)


 

Here is some of that understanding: God holds all of our lives in His hand. When I think about the implication of that simple statement, it is astounding and freeing. It is astounding because of the awesomeness and control of God and it is freeing, because I don't have to fear anything because my life, my breath, my very existence is up to Him.


 

Through this chapter, Job goes on to enumerate those who are under God's control: counselors, judges, kings, priests, the mighty, the trusted, the elders, princes, nations, chiefs. I think that it is interesting that Job picked on those who were in leadership. Those who probably thought that it was all up to them. Those who believed that they were in control. Not so. God has the life and breath of every leader in His hand. They could not move, they could not make a decision, they could not breath without God's permission. They could not exist without His grace. God is the One who is in charge of everything. These guys running for President may think they have the answers. These people in Washington making decisions may think that it is all up to them. It isn't. Their very breath is a gift from God. Why then are they so pompous? They should be on their faces daily thanking this God of grace that He has even given them life.


 

But then, I should be on my face daily thanking this God of grace that He has given me life, and breath, and existence. And, I should live my life in the confidence that God is in charge of it all. He is not going to allow anything to happen to me that is outside of His sovereign will.


 

So live life with gratefulness and freedom. God holds it all in His hands.

No comments: