Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Unmistakable Roars

Amos 1:2 "The Lord roars from Zion, and utters his voice from Jerusalem. The pastures of the shepherds mourn, and the top of Carmel withers."

Interesting…different writer, same words. This concept of God's awesome voice was not lost on the prophets. They knew what His voice sounded like. Powerful, amazing, almost piercing. They also knew what the result was. Creation responding. The heavens shaking, the earth shaking, the pastures mourning and the beautiful, fertile top of mount Carmel withering. I am getting the idea that God's voice was unmistakable. When He spoke, you knew it. His creation heard it and knew it and responded to it.

Sometimes I ask myself whether I am hearing God's voice or not? Sometimes when I get ideas or thoughts, is it God speaking or is it just me thinking? One thing I know, God will never speak in a way that is inconsistent with His word. If a thought or idea or concept enters my brain and it is not supported by the Word of God, forget it. I can pretty much know that I can throw it out. On the flip side, when a thought comes and it is supported by Scripture, run to it. Obey it. Do it. Don't ignore it. The tough question comes with the middle ground. The times when God's word is silent? Then what? Is it really the Holy Spirit?

I know verses like: "You shall hear a voice behind you, this is the way, walk in it." Or "My sheep hear my voice and follow Me." So why is this a struggle? My Pastor last Sunday talked about how it is like dialing in on your favorite radio station. You surf over the different stations until you hit the one that you are familiar with. How does this familiarity grow? By spending time with God. By getting into His word and reading it and meditating on it. If I am not in it, I cannot expect to hear from Him. But if I am in it, His voice will become more distinct. In fact, it may come to me like an unmistakable roar. That is what I want. I want those unmistakable roars that are consistent with the Word of God. When that happens, be like creation. Get moving.


No comments: