Sunday, January 2, 2011

Praying for Me

Luke 22:32 "But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren."


Peter was about ready to get nailed…and Jesus warned him. Jesus told him that he was going to deny his Friend and Teacher. Peter's reply: "No way. I am willing to die for you." Good old Peter. Mr. Out There. Always ready to open his mouth and jump in with both feet with big deal commitments. Jesus knew better. Jesus knew that deep down Peter was weak. Deep down Peter was a coward. Deep down Peter was going to back down. So what did Jesus do to help His friend? He prayed for him. (How amazing that God the Son would talk to God the Father about some mortal man. Jesus still does this: "Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us." Rom. 8:34) Anyway, Jesus prayed for two things and He expected one thing.


First, He prayed that Peter's faith would not fail. He prayed that the conviction that Peter had of the truth would not stop, that Peter would not quit. This was a very real, specific prayer because I am sure that Peter may have thought about it. I mean, if I had just spent three years of my life with a Guy that I considered my Teacher, my Friend, my Master, my Lord; if I just spent three years of my life following this Guy, watching His miracles, listening to His life lessons, observing changed lives; if I spent time with Him on the mountain and saw Moses and Elijah and heard the voice of God the Father; if I jumped out of a boat and actually walked on water at His command; if I pulled up a ton of fish when just the previous night I did not catch anything; if I pulled a coin out of a fish's mouth to pay taxes; if my mother in law was healed with the touch of this Man's hand, and then I said, three times, "I don't know Him, I don't know Him, I don't know Him", I think I would get pretty depressed and think about cashing in this whole faith thing too. I would think that I was not worthy. Jesus knew this about Peter. Jesus knew this about us humans…how weak, how cowardly, how internally conflicted, how sinful we are…and yet He prayed that Peter's faith would not fail. I bet Jesus prays this same prayer for all of us now as well.


Jesus' expectation? That His prayer would be answered. Jesus did not say: "If you return." No. Jesus said: "When you have returned." Jesus knew that Peter would screw up. Jesus knew that Peter would get depressed. And Jesus knew that Peter would come back. Why? Jesus knew His Father. He knew that His Father would restore Peter and bring Him back. And He did. God the Son's prayers to God the Father are powerful. His intercession for us is always answered positively. What the Son wants happens.


Second, He prayed that once Peter returned that he would strengthen His brothers. Pretty amazing, that a guy who totally turned his back on Jesus and frankly on the guys that he hung with for three years would be the guy who was called on to give strength and stability to these men. Jesus knew that once He was killed, the group would run. They were all like Peter. (Except John.) They all needed courage and strength and the fact that Peter blew it in such a huge way but was able to come back with power and conviction and certainty would be a boost for all of these guys. He was the one who was called upon to encourage these guys in their faith and carry this message to the world. And he did. Why? Because he was so great, or because he was special in Jesus' eyes? No. It happened because Jesus prayed.


And I am convinced that the only reason we fallible, frail, humans can have any effect on the world around us, the only reason we can stand and be strong and have courage in our faith is because Jesus prays for us.


Lord, keep praying.


No comments: