Friday, January 7, 2011

Grab and Go

Luke 24:25 "O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken!"


I thought for sure I would be writing about a different verse today, but no, this one hit me. Why? Because I am like these guys.


Think about it. The prophets talked about the coming Messiah. They talked about His birth, his life and His death. (Micah 5:2; Is. 9:6; Is. 53) I am sure that Jesus probably reminded them of what the women realized when they spoke with the angels, that the Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. They still didn't get it though. And Jesus said: "O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe…". He may have also said: "You have the prophets who explained to you what was going to happen. You have the scriptures that outline what was going to take place, but you still don't get it." As a result Jesus had to spend more time with these guys going through Moses and all the prophets going through the scriptures expounding about the things concerning Himself. V27


What hit me? I am like this. I bet Jesus says to me: "O foolish one, slow of heart to believe…". So many times I operate out of fear. I am very cautious. I don't take risks. I like to be comfortable in what I know. I don't like being stretched. If I were one of these guys I would probably be right where they were. Not understanding that the Messiah had to come and die and then rise again. Sure, I would have read it. I would have thought that I understood it. I would have embraced it. But when the time came to actually experience it, to see it, to grasp it…clueless.


I am being stretched right now when it comes to our church. My pastor is a guy who loves to take risks. Who believes God for the improbable and in fact the impossible. Thank God for him. He makes me think outside the scope of the possible. He challenges me to believe. It isn't easy, really. I want to hang on to what I know…to what is safe. Frankly, that is not the Christian life. The Christian life is a life of faith, of trust, of believing…not what I know, not what I can do, not what I can see, but believing God and trusting His word and His promises and His direction.


Is God directing? Then step out. The key? Believe God. Don't be foolish and slow of heart to believe. Grab His word and go.

No comments: