Saturday, January 1, 2011

Being Young Again

Luke 22:26 "But not so among you; on the contrary, he who is greatest among you, let him be as the younger, and he who governs as he who serves."


I love it…the disciples were human. They wanted to be important and recognized and have status just like the rest of us. The weird thing is that they were so self centered that in the middle of Jesus telling them that He was going to give His body and shed His blood for them, and right after He tells them terrible news that one of them is going to betray Him, they started arguing about who was going to recognized as the greatest among them. Duh! Come on guys. Do you hear what you are saying?


Unfortunately, I have been there. When I should be listening to others, when I should be concerned about something that is much more significant, all I can do is think about myself. Being human is amazing.


I love Jesus' response. Does He chastise them for not listening to Him? No. Does He tell them: "Hey, quit being so self absorbed." ? No. Instead He teaches them. He uses their discussion as a springboard for a life lesson. This is it: If you are great, be young. And if you govern, serve. This can also be translated: "he who is the elder, let him be as the younger; and he who is a leader must be a servant." This is so counter cultural. This is so contrary to our flesh. I am an older guy now so I should be able to govern. I should be able to lead. I want people to listen to me and my ideas because I have earned my stripes. It is my time to control. No…as I get older, I need to be younger. What do we expect kids to do? Listen. Obey. Help. Respect others. As I get older my listening skills should increase. I should be more willing to bend, be available to help and respect where other people are coming from. Unfortunately, as we get older, these qualities seem to evaporate. We get more rigid, more selfish, more opinionated. Jesus said: If you are an elder (one who is considered greatest) become like a child and listen, obey, help and respect.


If you are one who governs, if you are in a position of leadership then you should serve. If you are in a position of leadership you should be a servant, an attendant, one who waits on others, one who serves tables. Wow. This really goes against the grain. If I am a leader, other people need to wait on me. Not according to Jesus. Those who have been placed in leadership positions should be the first to pitch in and help in any situation. The leaders of the church should be the ones picking up the garbage, and putting tables and chairs away, and serving other people. Is this tiring? Yes. Can it get old? Yes. Is it appreciated? No. But this is what true leaders do…they serve…and they do it with a great attitude.


Then look what Jesus says later: "And I bestow upon you a kingdom just as my Father bestowed one upon Me." v29 Elders who are young, leaders who are servants will be given amazing responsibility.


I need to be young and serve.

No comments: