Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Perspective

Zech. 4:6b "'Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit.' Says the Lord of hosts."


 

This verse really puts things into perspective. I see that Rahm Emanuel just won the election for mayor of Chicago. Big deal. I know that President Obama just came to Cleveland to have a big summit with small business leaders in the city. Big deal. I know that right now Gadhafi is trying to exert his force in Libya. Big deal. I know that we try to do things and be things and create things and promote things…and we think it is a big deal. It isn't.


 

This is what is a big deal. "Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit." Mankind has such a high view of themselves. We think that we can control things, and make things, and cause things to happen. We think that we have power. We think that we have ability. We think that we have strength. We think that we are efficient. We are just kidding ourselves. Nothing happens because of our might. Nothing happens because of our strength. Nothing happens because we are smart or resourceful. This verse give us the right perspective…it is all God. It is all the Lord of hosts. The One who rules over heaven and earth. The One who created it all. The One who orchestrates it all. It is His Spirit.


 

I just got done watching Louie Giglio's video called: "If the earth were a golfball." www.metacafe.com/watch/4129317/louie_giglio_if_the_earth_were_a_golfball/ Talk about revealing how small we truly are. Talk about revealing how powerless we really are. Talk about putting me in perspective of who I am. Not even a speck. Yet I get the idea that some things are up to me. I get the idea that if I only do this or say this or perform this way it will change everything. No. It isn't by my might, it isn't by my power. It is all by God's Spirit.


 

So, when I get this mindset that I have to do something…give it to God first. When I get the idea that my action will result in something…give it to God first. When I am prompted to make a move…give it to God first. He is the One who does it all, not me. "Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit."


 

No comments: