Thursday, February 3, 2011

Teach Me

Micah 4:2b "Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; He will teach us His ways, and we shall walk in His paths."

This is the future. This is what is yet to come. "In the latter days…many nations will come and say: Come on, let's go to where God is. Why? We want to be taught. We want God to teach us His ways. When He does we are going to go and do and live the way that He directs." This is going to be an amazing time when many nations and a ton of people realize that their ways have lead down futile paths. The answer is God. The answer is the truth of His word. The answer is humbly realizing that we need to be taught and once we are taught, we need to listen and obey.

The question that I have to ask is: Why does this have to be the future? Sure, this is going to happen in a massive way in the future when the world confesses that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father, but this is not something that we have to wait for. It is something that we need to do now. It is something that I need to do now. "Come" is an invitation. We need to invite others to go to where God is. His mountain. His house. His dwelling place. We need to invite others to crave after His presence because He is the way, the truth and the life. He is the only One who can teach us for He is the only One who has the words of life. We need to invite and we need to sit down at His feet and listen and learn. When is the last time I just said to God: "Teach me."? Not for the sake of learning, but for the sake of walking in His paths, for the sake of doing what He wants me to do, for the sake of running after His purpose for me.

To think that the God of the universe, the One who made it all, who rules over it all, who controls it all, who holds everything in His hands is willing to be my Teacher…amazing. It blows me away that the God who created everything, who knows everything and who understands everything wants to teach me. He wants to share what He knows with me. How can I say: "no"? Then when He is willing to do this and He gives me His instruction, my response should be: "yes". How can my response, how can our response be anything else? When God takes the time to give me His instruction my only response as a part of His creation is to follow. To walk in His paths.

It is kind of weird, but all of creation obeys the voice of God. He says "thunder" and it does. He says: "rain" and it does. He says: "wind blow" and it does. He says: "be still" and it is. Humans are the only part of His creation who think that they can ignore Him. What a joke! When we do this we only run into trouble. He is our Teacher. He is the Lord of all. Our only response can be: "Teach me and I will walk in your paths."

No comments: