Tuesday, May 17, 2011

He Said It

Gen 21:1 "And the Lord visited Sarah as He had said, and the Lord did for Sarah as He had spoken."

Back in Gen 18:10 one of the Guys (God) who visited Abraham said: "I will certainly return to you according to the time of life, and behold, Sarah your wife shall have a son." Here it is. Here is God's return to Sarah…and Sarah at the age of 90 got pregnant. Wild stuff. I not only do I think that God did a miracle here in the life of Abraham and Sarah in conceiving a child, I think He also did a miracle in their bodies to take care of this little guy. I know what it is like to watch Maddie for a couple of hours. She is a blast and it is fun, but I feel drained when I am done. I am convinced that this is why God gave children to those who are younger…energy. Just think about the energy that a 100 year old guy and a 90 year old woman had to have. Unreal, but it happened. They had a son. Why? Because God said it. Because God spoke it.

That is what is so powerful about this verse. "The Lord visited Sarah as He had said." "The Lord did for Sarah as He had spoken." The very thing that God said would happen, the very word that God spoke became reality. This is God. He is truth. What He says happens. "God is not a man that He should lie, neither the son of man that He should repent. Has He said and will He not do? Or has He spoken and will He not make it good?" Num 23:19 Abraham and Sarah experienced this. They saw God's very words become reality in their lives.

I am convinced that God wants this for us today too. He wants us to see the truth of His word. He wants us to take His word to the bank. He has given us His word to give us direction in our lives. He has given us His word to speak into our lives. He has given us His word to become reality in our lives. And what He says is going to happen.

I have been the recipient of this in a very real and personal way. From my days in college, to my career, to my wife, to my ministry…God speaks and what He says happens. It may not be in my timing. It may not be exactly the way I would do it, but He is true. His word is true. Not only that, but I can have confidence in what He says in His word as it relates to my future as well. I know that I see what is happening in his country, I see what is happening in our economy, I see that we hit the debt ceiling yesterday and I wonder: "What is going to happen?" And God says: "I will supply all your needs." God says: "Don't worry about tomorrow…seek My kingdom and My righteousness first and everything else will come." And because of that, I have to rest. Rest in His word. Rest in His promises. Rest because He said it…because He has spoken and He is true, His word is true, He is faithful. Abraham and Sarah experienced it. I have and will as well.


 

No comments: