Sunday, May 22, 2011

God’s Blessing and Dads

Gen 26:4b-5, 24b "...in your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed; because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws...I am the God of your father Abraham; do not fear, for I am with you. I will bless you and multiply your descendants for My servant Abraham's sake."

Now God is appearing to Isaac. It is actually kind of weird how Abraham and Isaac's life parallel each other. They both had wives that had a tough time bearing children, they both said that their wives were their sisters because they were beautiful and they were afraid of their enemy (see v7), they both got unbelievably rich…and this…"in your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed". The thing is, this promise that God made to Isaac was something that was made because of his Dad. It was made because Isaac's Dad was faithful. It was made because Isaac's Dad was obedient. It was made because God made the promise to Isaac's Dad and He was going to keep it through Isaac. It all ran through Isaac's Dad.

As a Dad, I wonder what my kid's future will look like. Will God be able to say to my kids, "you will be blessed because your Dad obeyed My voice, kept My charge, obeyed my commandments, followed My statutes and laws…I am blessing you for Glen's sake."? Or, will my history in my relationship with God dictate a different outcome for my kids? This is really sobering. The fact that the way I live may actually impact my children's future. Fortunately, or unfortunately, it all depends on your perspective, this rule is usually true: "A Dad's life and the way he lives dictates his children's future." I say usually because there are exceptions, thank God. The grace of God extends even beyond our screw ups. My wife's dad was not a good role model, but I look at her life and I see the grace of God big time.

But for me, where I am right now in my life, I need to know that even the way I live right now may impact my kids even though they are married and out of the house. I need to have a consistent walk with God. I need to be faithful. I need to obey. I need to be an example to them in their marriages, for their families, for my grandchildren.

It is my hope and prayer that God would say to Michelle and Elise, and even beyond them, extending to Maddie that "I will bless you for My servant Glen's sake."


 

No comments: