Thursday, May 5, 2011

Noah was a Great Dad


Gen 7:1 "Then the Lord said to Noah: 'Come into the ark, you and all your household, because I have seen that you are righteous before Me in this generation.'"



The power of one guy in the life of his family. This is what is displayed in this verse. Yesterday I saw that Noah was just and innocent and he walked with God. One thing in particular stuck out to God however…that Noah was righteous. In Gen 6:9 this same word is translated 'just'. Noah realized who God was. He knew what God was like and Noah wanted to live his life consistent with who God was. This is righteousness. He had the character of God lived out in his life. The conscience that God placed in him that came when Adam and Eve screwed up, directed what he did. It directed what he said. It directed how he reacted when he was challenged, and questioned, and doubted. And he did what was right.



I wonder what I am like? Does God's character, His righteousness flow through me? How do I react to the Spirit of God? What do I do when I am challenged, or questioned, or doubted? Does the hair on the back of my neck stand up? Does my countenance fall? Do I get defensive or angry? Does sin crouch at my door? (See 5-2-11 entry.) Noah didn't. He knew that he was living his life consistent with God's desires and he did not need to justify what he was doing to anyone. The only One he wanted to satisfy was the God of all creation. Noah didn't just live this way when God warned him about the flood. This was Noah's normal way of life.


The result? His family was saved. His family came along with him in the ark. At this point there is no indication that Shem, Ham and Japheth were living righteous lives. There is no indication that they should deserve to be rescued. But my sense is that these boys were like their Dad. They saw what their Dad was like and they followed in his footsteps. Why do I say that? Because they got on the ark along with their families. They believed their Dad. They trusted their Dad who was trusting God. They did not challenge, or question, or doubt. In fact, my guess is that they helped their Dad build this thing. Noah's righteousness rubbed off on his sons and the result was the whole family was saved.


Anyone who does not see the implication here is blind. My responsibility as a Dad is huge in my family. My spiritual condition may just dictate the spiritual condition of my kids. If I screw up, if I don't care about living a consistent Christian life, if I am self centered and self serving, guess what my kids are going to be like? But, if I am like Noah and I strive to be righteous before God, the chances of my kids turning out that way are much greater.




Noah was a great Dad. The result was his family was saved.



No comments: