Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Automatic Praise



Gen 29:35b "'Now I will praise the Lord.' Therefore she called his name Judah."



The parallels between the lives of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are amazing. Isaac and Jacob had to go somewhere else to get a wife. They all had wives who could not have kids. Isaac and Jacob found their wives while giving livestock water. Abraham and Jacob had kids by multiple wives. They all had the promise of God to multiply them and give them the land.



And the way that it was fulfilled in Jacob's life resulted in the twelve tribes of Israel. It all started with Laban tricking Jacob into marrying Leah before he could marry Rachel. Four sons were born to Leah initially: Reuben, Simeon, Levi and Judah. Every boy's name meant something to Leah, but this last one hit me. Judah. His name means "praise". Jacob did not love Leah as much as he loved Rachel and Leah had to deal with this…and she seemed to deal with it as she had kids. Her sons names mean: "A son", "Heard", "Attached" and "Praise". I think the progression is interesting. Reuben – a son, is the fact that God blessed her with a boy. This was a big deal. He was the firstborn son of Jacob and Jacob would have to bless him. Simeon – heard is Leah's realization that God was paying attention. That He heard her cry because she was lonely and God gave her another boy. Levi – attached, is Leah's hope that now Jacob would love her because she had another son. Her desire was that Jacob would love here as much as he loved Rachel. Judah – praise is Leah's understanding that no matter what, God was sufficient. He answered her prayers and she exulted Him.



Praise. It is an interesting concept. To praise God. The word here means to laud, to give thanks, to confess the Name of God. When Leah had Judah, she did not keep it to herself. She gave God thanks. She lifted up His Name. My guess is that she probably did this privately but she also did it publically. I am sure that people saw her joy. I am sure that people heard her lifting up the name of her God. I am sure that people heard her give Him thanks. It was obvious because of her son's name. Every time someone said the name "Judah" they thought of the fact that God was honored. Every time Leah called for Judah to do something, she thought of who God was and what He had done for her and she praised Him for it.



I wonder how readily I praise God? How often do I just thank Him for who He is and what He has done for me? Yes I do it every morning and I do it at church. I mean, after all, I lead worship…but it is more than that. It is those times when I say a word and think of Him and thank Him. It is those times when I hear someone say something and I think of him and praise Him. It is in those moments when I see something that He has made and can't help but confess His Name. Is it an automatic thing in my life? It was in Leah's life. God constantly remind me of who You are and allow me to automatically praise You.




No comments: