Thursday, May 12, 2011

Primary

Gen 15:1b "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward."

Apparently Abram was concerned about something. I think that Abram looked at all of the stuff that he had (which was a lot) and he looked at the people who served him and frankly all of the people he supported with his wealth (over 300 servants must have cost a bundle to take care of) and Abram could only think of one thing: "I don't have an heir." Apparently, if Abraham died childless his primary servant, Eliezer, would get all of his stuff. This bothered Abram, and God knew it. God's response to Abram's unspoken concern: "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward." Abram was concerning himself with things that were important, but not of primary importance. Having a son was huge, but not as huge as this: "Concentrate on Me because I am your shield. I am your exceedingly great reward." God was his defense. God was his abundantly huge reward. He did not have to concern himself with his protection or his future because God had it all under control. All Abram had to do was focus on Him.

The thing is, this did not stop Abram from then voicing his concern. In the very next verse his unspoken fear became a spoken fear. In fact it was almost an accusation: "Look, You have given me no offspring; indeed one born in my house is my heir." In other words: "Hey God look at this. You have failed. You have not rewarded me. I don't have a child. In fact, a child of a servant who was born in my house is going to take it all." Finally. Abram pours out what he has been holding in for so long. God's response? "one who will come from your own body will be your heir". I am guessing that Abram was pretty old at this point and that is why he was so bitter. He had basically given up. It was over. Nothing was going to happen with him and Sarah and God gave him this promise. And what was the promise based upon? "I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward." This was not an empty promise. It was a promise coming from the One who Abram had to put his confidence in…the One that Abram had to focus his life upon.

So many times I get distracted. I start to wonder and worry and try to figure things out for myself. I am not unlike Abram. I see what is going on in our world and I think that I have to figure out what we need to do to protect ourselves. I guess being prepared is not a bad thing, but when it becomes the primary thing, this is bad. This is when God says: "Concentrate on Me. Trust Me. Believe in Me. I am your shield. I am your protection. I am your defense. I am your unbelievably huge reward." And I have to do what Abram did: "And he believed in the Lord, and He accounted it to him for righteousness."v6 If things go south in this country, or if things get tough in my life or in the lives of those I love I need to hang on to this truth…I need to hang on to who my God is…my shield, my exceedingly great reward.

No comments: