Saturday, March 12, 2011

Hungry

Matt 5:6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled."


 

I love being hungry when I know that food is coming. Like right now. I am sitting at my desk eating a burger. So good. My physical hunger is being filled right now as I chomp on this burger and dill pickle. What would be tough would be to be hungry or thirsty and not know if there was anything out there that was going to satisfy your need. So many people in the world live like this. They are hungry and they thirst for clean water, but they are unsure if they are going to be able to drink cool, refreshing clean water and they don't know where they are going to get any food. And so they get hungrier...and they get more parched.

This is what I love about God. He says: "Hey if you are hungry and thirsty after righteousness I promise to satisfy that hunger. I promise to quench that thirst." This isn't a situation where God is withholding anything from us. If we want it He says: "Come to my table and eat." Jesus even said: "I have meat to eat that you do not know about." Basically He was saying: If you want to know about my food, just crave it and I will provide it.


 

The problem is not God…the problem is us. We seem to crave junk food. We don't want real food we want the stuff that is going to tickle our tongues but will leave us empty. I just think about the stuff I listen to or the things that I want or what I like to do. I get in the car. Do I hunger and thirst for righteousness or do I want to hear talk radio? Man, this is convicting to me. If I was hungry and thirsty for righteousness I would either spend time praying, or listen to great music or spend time listening to the Bible or biblical teaching. Instead, I fill my ears with Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh. Junk food. Or what about how I spend my time? Do I spend it investing in eternal things…God's word and people or do I want to just chill in front of the TV or the computer screen? Am I really hungry and thirsty for righteousness, or am I just fooling myself?


 

I am finding out that the only way that this is going to happen in my life is if I ask God to do it in me. I can't drum up this desire. I can create this hunger. It has to be a God thing. In my flesh I am weak. I am just like the disciples who were supposed to watch and pray but they fell asleep. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak and if I follow the flesh, I will stay empty. But a real hunger and thirst for righteousness will fill me up. I will be satisfied. I will be full. It will be rich. God has promised it…please do it.


 

No comments: