Monday, March 21, 2011

Heaven

Matt 6:10 "Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven."


 

This is a really powerful part of this prayer. Jesus was teaching his disciples to pray for the Father's kingdom and His will to be done right here in this place where we live just like His will is accomplished in that place where He lives. I just noticed this. In the span of 22 words one word is repeated…heaven. I am thinking that maybe Jesus was trying to get a point across to these guys. He was probably trying to get a point across to us…think about heaven. Concentrate on heaven. Focus on the eternal. Our Father in heaven…as it is in heaven.


 

I know that I really get stuck in the temporary. I get stuck in concentrating on the here and now. What is going to happen in this country? What is the deal with the Middle East? What about Japan and the tragedy that has happened with the earthquake and the Tsunami and the nuclear meltdown? These are huge, important issues. I also get bogged down in what I have to do today…representing people, finishing a brief, how am I going to get to the camp on time? I think about my family and what scared me last night when we could not figure out where my wife was.


 

Now these concerns are not bad. I should focus my energy on this world and my work and my ministry and my family…but I need to consider them in a different light. I need to consider them in the light of the kingdom. I need to consider them in the light of God's will being done here. Just think if we really prayed this. How would my perspective change? How would my concerns change? If I said to God…"Just bring Your kingdom and please make sure Your will is done…that is all I want." I am sure that I would think differently. I am sure that I would act differently. I would not get frantic. I would not worry. I would not think the worst because I know that God is working out His will here just like He works in out in heaven.


 

The point is, as I pray this, I have the assurance that this is going to happen. I have the assurance that this is not just going to happen but it is happening. The economic mess in the US is a working out of God's will. The unrest in the Middle East is under His control. The tragedy in Japan is not taking God by surprise. And what happens with my job and ministry and family are all being working out by my heavenly Father, who loves me.


 

Yes, this part of the prayer is not just for God to do what He wants…it is to get us to think differently, to focus differently, to respond differently. I know that I need to pray this way


 

No comments: