Monday, March 14, 2011

Light

Matt 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."


 

Daylight savings time began today. As a result, when I got up this morning it was a little darker than usual. I wanted to read my Bible so what did I do? I turned a light on. At one point the dark was ruling the room and when the light was turned on the light took over. It is kind of cool how that works. Light gets rid of darkness. It completely overtakes it. I am not sure how this physically happens…the physics of it all, but I know the practical result…I can see. Just like Jesus said in the verse leading up to this one: "Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."


 

Jesus was talking about us. It is weird, but Jesus said in John: "I am the light of the world, he that follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." John 8:12 Now Jesus says: "You are the light of the world." Matt 5:14 Jesus came to eliminate the darkness. Now Jesus is telling His guys: "Your job is to dispel the darkness as well."


 

How does that happen? How do I light up a dark area of the world? Good works. Darkness is all around us. People are groping around because they can't see where they are going. They need light. They need direction. They need help. And we who have Christ living in us can provide what they need. Light. This light is revealed and the darkness is overcome when we do good works. When we perform acts of kindness. When we go totally against the nature of this world and do the unexpected.


 

I didn't think of it this way yesterday, but as I was driving home from doing some running around (you know how Saturdays are) I was coming down Mentor Avenue. Some guy was standing on the side of the road hitchhiking. Now, I have not seen a hitchhiker in years. This is kind of a lost art. No one does it anymore, I think, because our society has gotten so jaded that we don't trust people. We think that picking someone up is dangerous, and unfortunately it can be. But you know what? That is pure darkness. We start living according to fear rather than faith. Anyway, my conscience was pricked. I drove past the guy and had to stop at a red light. As I sat there I grew more convicted. The light changed, I turned around and picked the guy up. I learned that his name was Jerry. That he was from Pittsburgh and liked the Steelers. (I should have kicked him out of the car.) He lived in Willoughby and was moving to Painesville and his car broke down on his way in. He had to get to his new apartment and he knew exactly where it was and took me directly to it. As we talked I told him that I picked him up because it is what Christ would have done. As I let him out I handed him a card with John 3:16 on it. Now, will I see this guy in heaven? I don't know…but I think that the Lord smiled. I got out of my comfort zone and did something that I don't recommend we all do unless prompted to do it by the Holy Spirit. It is my hope that God will be glorified because I may have been light to this guy.


 

We need, I need, to do more of this. Not picking up hitchhikers, but physically doing good works so the darkness is eliminated. This dark world needs it.

No comments: