Monday, August 29, 2011

“I AM”

Ex 3:14 "And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.' "

This weekend I had the privilege of being involved in a wedding. It is really an honor when someone asks you if you can participate in something like this. Beyond a great event, you have the opportunity to meet people that you would have never met before. In this case, I had the chance to meet a violinist who played with some of the guys in our band and who accompanied us. When I met this individual one of the first things he said to me was: "Hi. I am Larry." I am sure that if you were to look at his birth certificate the name "Larry" would be on there. And I am sure that it is on his social security card, and his driver's license, and his bank accounts, and his W-2 form, and his mail, and frankly, all over the place. His name is his identification.

Moses had a similar experience. He kind of met Someone new. While out tending sheep he had a weird encounter with a bush that was burning but it was not consumed. As he approached it a voice spoke from the bush. Now, I don't know about you, but if I went up to a bush that was burning and not consumed that talked to me, I would freak. Not Moses. He talked to the bush. And right away God did something. He introduced Himself. He said: "I am the God of your father – the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob." Right from the beginning of this conversation, Moses knew who he was talking to. And God said something that ties in with what I wrote yesterday: "I have seen, heard, know and have come down." This is the God who pays attention. This is the God who acts. And He was about to act in a dramatic way through the life of Moses by using him to lead the children of Israel out of Egypt.

When Moses heard that, he hesitated. He doubted. Even though this was God that was speaking to him, he questioned God. How many times do I do that? Even though I know it is God who is clearly speaking to me, I wonder…I doubt…I question. Who am I? Who was Moses? Who are we to question God? But we do. And he did. And the next question is amazing. "If they ask who sent me, who do I say You are?" Give me a break. God just told him who He was but apparently Moses needed another introduction. So God boiled it down to the basics and said: "I AM".

"I AM". The word that is used here is: Exist. Kind of interesting, but the name Jehovah also means: "The existing One". God's very nature is that He is. He was. He always will be. He is eternal with no beginning and no ending. When He wanted someone to know who He was He nailed it by saying: "I am the eternal One who has always been in existence." Why this characteristic? Why would He emphasize His eternality? I think because it sets Him apart from all others. Everything else, whether human or animal or plant or any other created thing had a beginning. Not God. He has always been around. That is part of what makes Him God. And He will never end. He will never die.

The other cool aspect of the fact that He said: "I AM" is that He was explaining to Moses and all of the people that Moses would talk to that He is all they need. I am your strength. I am your power. I am your sufficiency. I am your Guide. I am your Leader. I am your Lord. I am your joy. I am your help. I am your protector. I am your mercy. I am your love. I am everything that you need for the adventure ahead.

Since God is eternal. Since God never changes. God is my I AM as well. He is my strength today. He is my wisdom today. He is my help today. He is my guide today. He is all that I need today. And He always will be.

This is the God that Moses was introduced to. It is the God that I know.

(If you want to read a book that nails it, read: I am not, but I know I AM by Louie Giglio. Great book.)

No comments: