Sunday, August 28, 2011

Paying Attention

Ex 2:25 "God saw the sons of Israel, and God took notice of them."

I love it when someone actually pays attention to what I am doing. It probably is an ego thing, but when someone says: "Glen, I have been watching you and I appreciate…", that does something. It gives me a boost of confidence. It helps me know that I am, hopefully, doing something right. Or when someone says to me: "Glen, I just want you to know that I have been praying for you because I can see that something is going on in your life." That, again, gives me hope. It helps me see that someone cares. And it allows me to see that I am not in this thing alone.

That is what this verse basically is saying. Only it is coming from the God of the Universe. It is coming from the God who has all authority and power and dominion. It is coming from the Ruler and Sustainer of it all. And this God did two things.

First, He saw. He was watching. He could see that the sons of Israel were afflicted by the Egyptians. To think that God sees, that God watches, that God knows what is going on in this world, and in my country, and in my community, and in my church, and in my family, and in my life is astounding. God is paying attention to all that is going on in this world, and He is not just paying attention to the whole world, but He is paying attention to what is happening in my life. He sees the big picture and the small picture. He stares at all of it. This God of all sees it all.

Second, He takes notice. This is different than just seeing what is going on. This is personal knowledge. This God inserting Himself into what is going on. It is God taking upon Himself the responsibility to act. After seeing what was going on, God knew that He had to do something.

Amazing that God would be concerned. Amazing that God would see and insert Himself into our life situations…but He does. He loved Israel that much and He loves us that much that He inserted Himself in the most dramatic way. He came to this earth and died. Talk about seeing. Talk about noticing. Talk about taking action. But this is our God. This is just like Him. To see everything, to know everything and then come up with a solution to man's most pressing problem.

The thing is, He didn't just do it for Israel in Egypt. He didn't just do it when Jesus came to this earth. He is continually doing it. He is always at work. He is always seeing and noticing and acting. Right now as I sit here, He is seeing and noticing and acting. As I go on my day today He will be seeing and noticing and acting. As I go through my life next week, He will see and notice and act. He can't help it. It is who He is. A very personal, real, powerful God…in my life. Wow.

No comments: