Wednesday, August 31, 2011

“I am the LORD”


Ex 6:2 "And God spoke to Moses and said to him: 'I am the LORD'."


Here we are again. Reminders. Things got tougher. Moses and Aaron approached Pharaoh and asked him to allow the children of Israel to go out into the wilderness to sacrifice for three days and Pharaoh's response was what God said it would be. "No." In fact, in that "no" answer Pharaoh decided to make things tougher for the children of Israel. Now they would have to gather their own straw in order to make bricks with the same quota of bricks expected. Here is where the grumbling started. No wonder. They had to do twice the work in the same amount of time and when they didn't they felt the wrath of their foremen. I probably would have grumbled too. This time, the guy that they doubted 40 years earlier came in and made life harder for them. They blamed Moses. And Moses? He blamed God. In fact he got in God's face and said: "Ever since I came and did what you told me to do, you haven't done anything." Bold.

God's response: I AM. God's response: "I am the LORD." God's response: "I Jehovah." I exist. I always have. I always will. I am the One that is in charge. No matter what you may see, no matter what you may think, no matter what you may feel, know this: "I am the LORD". This message was so important that it was repeated five more times in this chapter. The name LORD is throughout. The existing One. I exist. I AM.

This is huge. This has not changed. Israel was going through it and God was the LORD. Israel seems like they continue to go through it and God is the LORD. The world seems so out of control right now with radical Islam, and economic structures crumbling, and earthquakes, and hurricanes..."I am the LORD". Our country, frankly, seems to be a mess but: "I am the LORD". And any time that my life seems to be spinning out of control I need to remember: "I am the LORD". "I exist. I am eternal. I have everything under control. No matter how things look, I am in charge...I always have been...I always will be."

This is our rock. This is our foundation. This is my assurance. It was for Moses. It was for the children of Israel. And frankly, it was a warning to Pharaoh as it is a warning to those who think that they are in charge today. God is. I AM. LORD.


No comments: