Saturday, April 30, 2011

God’s Best Creative Idea

Gen 2:18 "And the Lord God said, 'It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.'"

Of all of the ideas that God came up with in creation, this was, in my mind, the best one.

As you read chapter one, you will see that after God made something he said that it was good. In fact, after He made everything He said it was very good. Only one problem. Something was not good. "It was not good that man should be alone." Sure, man had all of this other stuff. He had the fruit trees, and herbs and plants and animals and birds and fish the garden to tend and the heavens to explore but he was alone. He had no one to share God's creation with. The actual Hebrew word for alone is "bad". It means alone, separate, apart, by itself. It was not only not good for man to be alone…it was bad. It is bad to be by yourself. It is bad to be isolated. It is bad to not have companionship. It is bad to live separate and apart from others. We need each other and frankly, guys don't just need other guys…we need women. We need a companion We needed help so we need a helper that is like us…comparable to us…similar to us but different. So God had this brilliant idea. He created a woman for the man. What is said to be bone of his bone, flesh of his flesh. The one we are to leave our father and mother for. The one we are to become one flesh with. And am I thankful.

Why am I so thankful? Because God knew what I needed. Because God knew who I needed. Because God cared so much about me that He gave me my wife, Georgann. When God said that it was not good for me to be alone, He had in mind my wife…and she is the best. That is why I say that of all of the ideas that God came up with in creation, this was the best one…because He has shown me what He had in mind when He said that men need a helper comparable to him. Georgann is my helper. And the Lord knows, she is comparable. The word here for comparable actually is part of the words "for him". It actually means in front of, conspicuous, corresponding to, parallel to. Our wives are not something that we should take for granted. Our wives are not people we need to lord over. Our wives are not subservient to all of our needs. Our wives correspond to us. They are parallel to us. And it is obvious that we need them. It is obvious that I need Georgann. She really is the best part of who I am.

Let me just say that any man who takes his wife for granted, any man who ignores his wife, or uses his wife, or abuses his wife, or takes advantage of his wife is a total jerk. God did not create women to abuse. God created women to walk with us. To be a part of who and what we are. To be singular with us. Some of us need to take a hard look at how we treat our wives, and we need to repent, big time.

So when I consider the moon and stars and the work of God's hands, when I consider the amazing wonder of the human body, when I think about the structure of DNA, out of all of these things, the best that God made was woman…was my wife. Thank you Lord.


 

No comments: