Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Praying for Me

Rom 8:26,27 "Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself make intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God."

The Holy Spirit leads me, He assures me and He prays for me. This last one is wild. To think that a person of the Godhead actually prays to God the Father on my behalf is amazing.

Why does He do this? Because I get stuck. Because I am not smart enough. Because I am weak. I really don’t know how to pray. Sure Christ taught us how to pray by His example and His words. Scripture tells us that we ought to do everything by prayer and supplication. It tells us to ask, seek, knock. But… But I am weak. I am human. I really don’t know how to pray effectively. The Spirit of God knows that. The Spirit of God sees my heart and He takes my prayers and molds them to come to the throne of God according to the will of God. This really is a mystery. The cool thing is that when I pray, I can have the assurance that my words get translated by the Spirit of God and arrives in the ears of God according what He wants.

The word for intercession in verse 27 is “entygchano”. It means to meet with a person for the purpose of conversation, consultation or supplication. This is what the Spirit of God does. He meets with God the Father and God the Son on my behalf for the purpose of conversation, consultation and supplication. The amazing thing is that the word for intercession in verse 26 is “hyperentygchano”. Hyperconversation, hyperconsultation, hypersupplication that is so intense that He does it with sighs that have no words.

As a result I have the assurance that my prayers make it to God. My prayers are sweet to Him. My prayers will get answered according to His will.

The point: Keep praying. There are some things that I am praying for right now that I have no clue about, yet I am praying. I am asking God to do some things that only He can do. I am also saying in some instances: “God, I really am not sure what to do next.” That’s OK because the Spirit of God will mold those prayers and I can step back and see how God works. He will accomplish His will every time.

No comments: