Monday, February 1, 2010

Tuning In

Rom 8:16 "The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God."

More confirmation. Rom 8:14 said that if the Spirit of God leads us, this shows that we are children of God. Now, two verses later, Paul tells us that God’s Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are His children.

Bearing witness is a legal term. It means testify. It is one who called upon to tell what they know, what they have seen, what they have experienced. It is not second hand knowledge (hearsay). It is first person, actual knowledge of what they personally know. God’s Spirit testifies to my spirit, He gives my spirit actual knowledge of what He knows, that I am His child.

If the Spirit of God lives in me, I will know it. I will experience Him. There will be something in my inner person (my spirit) that verifies that I am a child of God. There will be an inner voice that convicts me, or teaches me, or directs me. It won’t be my voice. It will be something that I would not normally think about or know. It is, right now, the Spirit of God who is teaching me right at this time.

This is confirmation. This is a verification that I am a child of God. Amazing. A child of God. I need to let that sink in. I am not just a friend of God, I am His child. His heir. Joint heirs with Jesus. (v17) I am a part of God’s family. This is huge. This is unfathomable. It really is beyond my understanding. But it is true. If I hear God’s voice it is the Spirit of God confirming with my spirit that I am His kid.

I need to be sensitive. I need to be in tune. I need to be open. I need to be quiet and let the confirmation process go on.

No comments: