Monday, February 22, 2010

Small

Rom 11:33 "Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out."

Really, Paul has just spent four chapters dealing with election. Chapter 8: “Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called: whom He called, these He also justified: and whom He justified, these He also glorified.” v30 Chapter 9:”So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.” v17 Chapter 10: “I was found by those who did not seek Me; I was made manifest to those who did not ask for Me.” v19 Chapter 11: “What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded.” Again, tough stuff to grasp. Difficult stuff to understand.

This is why Paul says: “Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out.”

Some people spend their whole lives studying God. It is called “theology”. Many try to figure Him out. Many try to put Him in their own little neat box. Many try to bring Him down to where we can understand who He is. We never will…not until we get to heaven. Oh sure, He wants us to know Him. He wants us to grow in our relationship with Him, but we will never totally figure Him out. We will never fully understand this choosing thing. We will never know what He is truly like. He is too huge. He is too wise. He knows too much. His judgments and decisions are unsearchable and the way that He works can’t be comprehended. This is why we can spend time in His word and He will always reveal something new to us, because His riches and wisdom and knowledge are infinite…and we are not.

I need to remember my place. I need to remember who I am. I am small.

Louie Giglio wrote a great book: I am Not, but I know I AM. In it he says: “Sitting here, I feel so small-and small feels surprisingly good. So good I begin to wonder why it’s so surprising that feeling small feels so good.

The truth is, feeling small may not be so bad if in recognizing our smallness we come to realize the wonder of God-a God who is beyond our ability to fully describe or imagine, yet someone we are privileged to know, love and embrace.”

Face it. There are some things we just can’t figure out. Stop trying. Realize that God is God. His ways are beyond my imagination. And He calls me by name. Wow.

No comments: