Wednesday, June 29, 2011

All for the Glory of God

I Cor 10:31 "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

It is weird, but I just prayed this this morning.

Father's day this year was weird. Weird because most of the day I did not spend with my kids. Maddie had to take a nap and we really could not do much in the afternoon, so we decided that we would go to my favorite restaurant, Five Guys, in the evening. I knew that we were not going to do much until then, but I kind of wanted to have something planned even for the afternoon. I got a little miffed (selfish me) that my wife kept saying: "This is your day, what do you want to do?" I, of course, could not think of anything…I thought that was my wife's job for the day. We ended up watching a movie and I finally calmed down. Then the time came to go to Five Guys and I really calmed down. I love their burgers and fries. When we were done, we could not go for a walk in Metroparks because it was raining, so we went back to Michelle and Jeremy's house. When there, they gave me my cards and as I opened them my wife gave me a page out of a magazine. It was the picture of an i Pad 2. No way! My wife and kids had sprung to buy me this? This was crazy…I was in shock….I just had to wait for it (and a case keyboard which is very cool) to come in the mail. Two days ago it came and it really is an amazing tool.

All this to say that I got thinking about all of the computer gadgets we have, this morning. I got thinking about how much God has blessed us. I got thinking about the fact that for some reason God has entrusted this stuff to me. Why? Why did my family buy me an i Pad 2? They probably did not think of this, but as I got thinking, I prayed this morning: "God, let me use these things for your glory. In fact, let me use all that I have for Your glory." Then I read this verse: "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

Paul did not have an i Pad 2 in mind when he wrote this verse. Instead, he had other people in mind. He was concerned that people were not thinking of others first. (verse 24 is almost identical to Phil 2:4) He was concerned that people were eating and drinking and not considering others. But then this: If you eat, if you drink, whatever you do…whatever you do…whatever you do, do it ALL to the glory of God. That includes eating, drinking, working, playing, reading, watching, talking, ministering, using technology, in relationships, whatever I do, do it all for God's glory. Why? Because as we learned this Sunday, He is the awesome eternally existent One who deserves it. Only God deserves it. I don't deserve anything. I don't deserve credit, or honor, or glory, or praise…I am just a blip on the radar screen of history. God alone is to be glorified and He is to be glorified in ALL that I do.

So today, as I use my cool i Pad 2, as I work, as I talk to clients, as I practice at worship team, as I communicate with my wife, do it all for the glory of God. If I do, if I remember this, I am sure that much will change.

No comments: