Monday, June 6, 2011

Not Worthy

Gen 32:10a "I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies and of all the truth which You have shown Your servant..."

Jacob was going home. He knew that when he got there he would have to see his brother Esau. Now, the last time he saw Esau, Esau had said: "The days for mourning for my father are at hand; then I will kill my brother Jacob." Gen 27:41 Not a good scenario. Was God asking Jacob to go back home just to be killed by his brother who hated him? I mean, this was going from bad (Laban) to worse (Esau). Jacobs solution? Pray. He reminded God that he was doing what God had told him to do. He reminded God that He had promised to make him a great multitude. And he asked for deliverance. In the middle of it all, he acknowledged who he was…not worthy.

As we were reminded yesterday by our pastor, prayer is huge. We need to go to God and seek, ask and knock and realize that He will accomplish the will of Christ through those prayers. Yet, our attitude in going to God I believe is key.

We just got home from a vacation in Arizona. We stayed in Sedona which is beautiful. It is beautiful because of God's creation. These massive red rocks are jutting up into the sky from this really barren landscape. There is Cathedral Rock (which we climbed), and Courthouse Butte and Bell Rock both of which we could see from the backyard of our house. We then traveled to the Grand Canyon. I didn't realize it, but the canyon is 10 to 17 miles wide, one mile deep and 277 miles long. And it is unreal. As I looked at all of this I knew how very small I was.

I think that Jacob realized this as well even though he did not travel to Arizona. He knew that God had blessed him. He knew that God had extended His mercy to him. He knew that he was a recipient of a ton of truth that God had taught him…and he was small. He was tiny. He was insignificant, and God had smiled on him. God had extended great mercy to him and he acknowledged it in this prayer.

Me too. I have so much. God allows me to hear from Him every morning. He lets me talk to Him. The God of all of creation, the Red Rocks of Sedona, the Grand Canyon, the entire universe extends mercy toward me. Why me? Because He loves me. Unreal…but true. I can say along with Jacob: "I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies and of all the truth which You have shown Your servant."


 

No comments: