Saturday, November 19, 2011

Within our Grasp

Eph 3:17,18,19 "that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height--to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God." NKJV


 

I am trying to grasp all of this. I am trying to get a hold of all the truth that is contained in these verses. I mean this stuff is huge. It is massive…and it is within our grasp.


 

I just think about his truth: Jesus lives in my inner man. From a human perspective this is impossible. No one can live in another person. But here it is. Christ lives in my heart. Not that thing that keeps the blood flowing through my arteries, but the thing that actually motivates me, moves me, inspires me, controls me. Jesus is there through the person of the Holy Spirit. (Talk about Jesus and the Holy Spirit being one entity.)


 

And then this truth: My foundation, my stability, my strength is found in love. The love of God. What Paul wants these people to know and what I have to know is that God's love, the love of Christ which passes knowledge is knowable, in all of its width and length and depth and height. I enjoy how Paul says that you may know the love of Christ which passes knowledge. Knowing something that is not knowable. This is not a human thing. This is a supernatural thing. This is something that I can't understand through my tiny little brain, but it is something that I can grasp because Jesus lives in me, and if the God of all creation lives in me then I have that knowledge because I have Him.


 

I remember when I was in college I read a book by Watchman Nee called "Christ the Sum of All Spiritual Things". The premise of the book was that I am a possessor of all of Christ's character…His love, His kindness, His mercy, His grace, His understanding, His wisdom, His knowledge…because He lives in me. This is just blow me away time. This is just shaking my head time. And these are things that reachable, comprehendable, knowable. Paul says it: That you may be able to comprehend…that you may know…even though it is beyond knowledge…that you may get it.


 

I just went back and reviewed Eph 1:18. There it is again. Understanding. Enlightenment. Knowledge. The revelation had been made known to Paul and he wanted these people to get it too. It is possible.


 

I have so far to go, but I have an amazing Teacher who lives in me, who wants to fill me to the fullness of God. Wow.

No comments: