Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Do What’s Right

Job 34:4 "Let us choose what is right; let us know among ourselves what is good." ESV


 

Here is more advice from Elihu. This was advice that is being given to all of the guys…Job and his three friends. This was a corporate thing. This was an "us" thing.


 

I remember when our girls were little. Every now and then they would get on each other's nerves and get a little testy with one another. At one particular time I came to them and gave them a phrase that sticks with us to this day: "Do what's right". I knew that deep down they knew what was right and what was wrong. I was not happy when they did or said the wrong thing. But I really didn't care what they did or what they said or how they acted as long as they did what they knew was the right thing to do. There were always points of decision. Should I say this? Should I do this? Should I go there? Should I follow the crowd? Constant points of decision. Their compass? "Do what's right."


 

Elihu was there. He got it. But he didn't just get it on an individual basis, he got it on a group basis. "Let US choose what is right. Let US know among OURSELVES what is good." Not only is this something that I can decided, it is something that a group can decide. It is something that many can determine corporately.


 

As I think about the weekend the guys had, I wonder what group decisions were made? I wonder what we as a group of guys are going to pursue in the future? What are we going to be committed to? Whatever it is, let's together do what is right and good. Let's together pursue what pleases God. No matter what our society is doing, no matter what our culture pushes, no matter what our government dictates…let us choose what is right.


 

One thing that I think is cool is that most of the New Testament was written to groups. Sure we read it as individuals but Paul's letter were written to churches…corporate bodies who did things together. Group decisions. Group movement. Group passion. Group life. Let US choose what is right.


 

No comments: