Friday, April 20, 2012

Interruptions

Mark 6:34    "When he went ashore he saw a great crowd, and he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. And he began to teach them many things." ESV


 

Interruptions...I hate them. But not Jesus. He was all about interruptions because He knew that this is where He met people in their point of need.


 

The verses that precede verse 34 outline that Jesus wanted His guys to get some rest. So He encouraged them to "'Come away by yourselves to a desolate place and rest a while.' For many were coming and going, and they had no leisure even to eat." v31 Now this is cool. Jesus saw that His guys were tired and hungry so He told them to get some rest. But what happened? "Now many saw them going and recognized them, and they ran there on foot from all the towns and got there ahead of them." v33 Give me a break! These guys wanted to get away and take it easy and the people would not let them. When they got to their destination the desolate place was no longer desolate...it was filled with people. (There were 5000 men plus women and children.) I know if I was one of the disciples I would have done anything that I could to get out of there. I am so human.


 

Not Jesus. "He saw a great crowd, and He had compassion on them...". Why? They were like lost sheep and they needed a shepherd. They needed direction and protection. So He gave it. He thought of this interruption as a teachable moment. In His compassion He used this interruption to teach them and then to feed them through an amazing miracle.


 

That is my problem. I am more centered on my own comfort than the needs of people. This is not compassion, this is selfishness. This is not the Spirit, it the flesh. This is not Christlike, it is Glenlike. When I am at lunch and I get a phone call from a difficult client, what do I do? Huff and complain and put them in voicemail? I shouldn't. If I want to be like Jesus I need to be moved with compassion and look at this interruption as a teachable moment...for them and for me.


 


 

No comments: